Tuesday 3 January 2017

HOW TO MAKE AIR ITSELF - ONE OF US (II & III)

SINGER (ONE OF US II)



This one might be familiar to anyone who has seen a concert in recent years. It often involves me singing a-cappella and wandering amongst the audience trying to burn off nervous energy. Here it’s in a kind of folk/drone setting largely provided by Daniella Grimm's violin and and effects. The vocal melody came to me walking along the street in 2012 I think. I have that half fear that I may have lifted it inadvertently from a turkish pop song emanating from a car stereo on Sonnenallee, although listening back to it, that seems highly unlikely.

ENEMY (ONE OF US III)



The unreliable narrator shows up again on One of Us III. This song, like Reckoning developed out of a commissioned piece for the funding of my last record. Vince Kokot played the glockenspiel. When I finished writing this song I somehow didn’t feel like it was mine. Now, for the same reason, I feel it's more mine than most.

Both the song’s texts owe a debt to Jorge Luis Borges’ wonderful disturbing short story Borges and I.




No comments: