Friday 26 September 2008

Buses/Maps

One peso takes me anywhere in the city on a bus. Twenty pence a ride, anywhere, anytime of the day or night. I avoid the taxis, especially alone, but mainly as a 'when in Rome...' thing. Its real and cheap – I can stumble through my Spanish some, to get there, to get by – in these first days this seems a not insubstantial victory.

I retain my fractious relationship with maps (whose aesthetic I nonetheless embrace), we argue a little; ultimately it wins. I don’t think the fact that I was bought a compass before I left is insignificant. 


2 comments:

cal said...

i must protest in the most vehement manner at the choice of background/text ... i am reading this at night after a day watching/feeding/entertaining/nur-turing a 7 month old and my eyes are not what they were. the black and white is just too much and gives me a headache so i'm off to bed. its your fault. other than that, i'm so glad you're having a good time and i'm enjoying reading about your antics which, it seems, are equally adventurous there as here (or where i was before here became melbourne). adios gay.

mute swimmer said...

well, I must confess i haven't had the same problem Miss Caroline but then I'm not a young mother..so for your eyes only, it is back on white.